Tuesday 2 October 2012

Research

I have just had my first ever experience of fencing. I have to say, it was a lot of fun, but bloody hell it was exhausting.
As a writer one thing I pride myself on is that I actually do, occasionally, do research, and I do believe that all fantasy writers should at least try a few of the things, like fencing, that their characters are going to have to do. I plan to join the fencing club properly, and will hopefully be giving archery a go this week, all under the guise of 'research'. Truthfully, I'm just a bit of a geek, and archery and fencing are things I've wanted to try since I was a child, along with horse-riding. I couldn't afford it back then, or more my parents couldn't afford it for me, so the fact that my uni has fencing and archery clubs is wonderful for me.
Of course, they also have an equestrian club, but I still can't afford that and I really don't expect that to change any time soon, so I'll just have to settle for watching showjumping on the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment